About a month ago, Minna, Alex, Mel and I went to Byng for a tour of the school. Of course, we didn't go around the whole school, since it was so big but we were able to see the Cafeteria.
We were apart of the Sustainability meeting so we got to hear from the engineers, and the staff from VSB.
It was really interesting to see the school since it was really different from our school.
It was clear that Byng wasn't as sustainable as King George in terms of not having a recycling box beside each garbage can. It was weird to see that because I was so used to seeing a bright blue box beside all the garbage cans.
When we went to the Cafeteria, we were so surprised to see individual packaging for lunch and breakfast.
The burgers and burritos were individually wrapped, and the fries were in small box containers.
There were also plastic containers for salad and there was even a deep fryer in the kitchen!
I thought that was really unhealthy and also many students came in during the span of 5 minutes, where all the wrappers were thrown away in the garbage.
It was really surprising because in our school we never use containers for lunch. We have reusable cutlery and plates.
The big schools usually do this because there would be a large amount of cutlery and plates they would need to wash.
In our school there are only about 50~70 students in the lunch program, depending on the month. At their school they have 100+ students in the lunch program. Since I take classes in the kitchen, I know how we have to have the dishwasher constantly running to wash everything the students use and what the Chef uses after cooking.
It was very interesting to see the school and it showed that the other big schools would have the same problem too.
;
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment